Leith Police Station

On the corner of Constitution St and Queen Charlotte St, Leith

November 2005

Leith Police Station  -  Photograph taken November 1, 2005

  Copyright: Peter Stubbs   peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk                                                         Photograph taken November 1, 2005

 

Enlarge this picture

Leith Police Station  -  Photograph taken November 1, 2005

 

Leith Police Station

Town Hall

Leith Town Hall and Police Station on the corner of Constitution Street and Queen Charlotte Street was designed by R & R Dickson and built 1827-28.

The Town Hall was presumably no longer required as such following the amalgamation of Edinburgh and Leith in 1920.  The building is still uses as a Police Station.

The inscription high on on the Queen Charlotte Street frontage reads:

TOWN HALL

R & R DICKSON, ARCHITECTS

The inscription high on the Constitution Street frontage reads:

ERECTED BY THE MAGISTRATES AND MASTERS

MDCCCXXVIII

 

Old Engraving

Here is an earlier view of the building when it was the Town Hall:

Engraving from 'Modern Athens'  -  hand-coloured  -  Leith Town Hall

The Church Next Door

The old church next door was surrounded by scaffolding when this photo was taken.

It has since been cleaned and restored, and is now (in 2007) being used as Leith Social Work Centre.  Its address is:  St John's House, 71 Constitution Street.

 

Leith

Around Edinburgh

   

 

__________________