Leith Walk

Primary School

on the corner of Brunswick Road and West Montgomery Place

 

Leith Walk Primary School

The northern frontage, facing onto Brunswick Road

The school was built in 1875.  It was enlarged in 1894 and again in 1903

Leith Walk Primary School, Brunswick Road. off Leith Walk, 2006

  peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk                                                                                                 Photograph taken:   April 30, 2006;  7.29pm

Enlarge this photo

    Leith Walk Primary School, Brunswick Road. off Leith Walk, 2006

 

Leith Walk Primary School

Old Engraving

Here is a photograph of Leith Walk Primary School, taken in 2006.

Compulsory Education

Leith Walk Primary School is on the corner of Brunswick Road and West Montgomery Place, close to Leith Walk.

The school was built in 1875.  It is one of about 1,000 'Board Schools' built in Scotland, following the passing of:

-  the Elementary Education Act in 1870

-  a similar Act in Scotland in 1872.

These acts provided for schools to be run by School Boards, and made education compulsory for children from age 5 to 12.

Brunswick Road

The road where the school stands was not named Brunswick Road until 1885.  Before that date, the road where the school stood was known as Lover's Loan.

Old Engraving

Here is an old engraving, published around 1890, showing the school looking very similar to its appearance today.   The low building to the right of the school on the old engraving below was the Janitor's house.  It cannot be seen in the recent photo, but it is still standing, just out of the photo on the right at the top of this page.

Leith Walk Primary School, Brunswick Road. off Leith Walk, engraving published c.1890

 

Leith Walk Primary School

Edinburgh Schools

Around Edinburgh

 

__________________