South Bank House
Portobello Road  -  formerly part of the Craigentinny estate

 

South Bank House  -  2006

South Bank House, off Portobello Road  -  formerly on land bellonging to Craigentinny House

  Copyright: Peter Stubbs  -   please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk   -                          Photograph taken March 4, 2006:  3.35pm

Zoom-out

    South Bank House, off Portobello Road  -  formerly on land bellonging to Craigentinny House

View the house

 about 100 years earlier

South Bank House, Portobello Road  -  Photographed around 1910

 

South Bank House

Location

South Bank House is beside the Wilson Memorial Church on Portobello Road, just west of it's junction with Kekewich Avenue.  This section of Portobello Road is  named Moira Terrace.  The house is No. 125.

Here is another view of the house in 2006.

South Bank House, off Portobello Road  -  formerly on land bellonging to Craigentinny House

History

South Bank House was originally the steading for Craigentinny Farm, belonging to Craigentinny House. 

The steading was surrounded by fields, before the Craigentinny housing estate was built in the 1930s.  On these early maps, the steading was named Southside Bank.

Craigentinny House

Craigentinny House, formerly the home of the Nisbets of Craigentinny who owned the surrounding land, was built in C16 or C17.  The house is still standing and is now used by by Edinburgh Council as a  Social Work and Community Education Centre.

 

 

 

__________________