This view looks to the east from the tower of
St Stephen's church.
- The new housing in the lower-left corner of this photo is in St
Vincent Place, at
the western end of Fettes Row.
- Fettes Row can be seen to extend (beside the trees) to the
eastern side of Dundas Street. The low building on the left here is
a Royal Bank of Scotland office. This is where the Royal Gymnasium
stood in the nineteenth century.
- Continuing to the east beyond Fettes Row, we come to the
steeple of Broughton St Mary's church. It is barely visible in this
photo, but can clearly be seen if we zoom in.
- The street to the south (right) of Fettes Row is Cumberland
Street, and the street to the south of Cumberland Street (with the
backs of some of the houses just visible on the extreme-right of this
photo) is Great King Street.
- The St James Centre office and shopping complex and the monuments on
Calton Hill can be seen in the upper-right corner of this photo.