West Bow

 

Engraving from Modern Athens - published 1829

West Bow  -  from the Lawnmarket

Engraving from 'Modern Athens'  -  West Bow

  Copyright: For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

 

Drawn by Thomas H Shepherd

Engraved by JB Allen

 

 

West Bow

West Bow was a steep street in the Old Town of Edinburgh, leading from the Grassmarket, up the hill to the Lawnmarket (the top of the Royal Mile, leading from Edinburgh Castle to Holyrood Palace).

Before the South Bridge and George IV Bridges provided routes to the south from the Royal Mile, West Bow was the only means of access for a wheeled carriage into this part of Edinburgh from the south.

The lower portion of West Bow still exists.  The upper portion has been replaced by Victoria Street with its gentler slope leading into George IV Bridge.

Some interesting traditional shops can still be found in West Bow and Victoria Street.

 

 

Engravings from Modern Athens  -  Published 1829

Index                 View from Craigleith                View from Calton Hill

Around Edinburgh

Distant Views

Old Town

New Town

Churches

Schools

Leith

 

Maps for Begbie photos

Central Edin - West    Central Edin - East    Edinburgh & Leith

Maps for photos:

1850s       1950s      2000 Central Edinburgh       2000 Around Edinburgh

Maps for engravings:

1829

Photographs

Around Edinburgh

 

 
 

__________________