The Black Turnpike
building behind the Guard-House, standing to the west of the
Tron church is
the Black Turnpike, reported to have been a sumptuous building,
built in 1461.
belonged to George Crichton, Bishop of Dunkeld in 1527. It
was the town mansion of the provost of Edinburgh in 1567, and the
building from which Mary Queen of Scots was brought, prisoner.
Black Turnpike was no longer standing when the picture above was
published in 1890.