The Old Building
General Post Office (GPO) is an impressive building on the
corner of North Bridge and Waterloo Place, at the East End
of Princes Street. It is almost opposite Register
Traditionally, all distances from
Edinburgh have been measured from the GPO.
The foundation stone of the building was laid on October 23,
1861, by Prince Albert. The building opened on May 7, 1866.
The building was extended in 1891-92 and again in 1907-10.
since closing in October 1995, the building remained
empty and begun to look very shabby.