A Scottish National
recently [early 2002], it has been suggested that
the building would be a suitable site to house and display a permanent
Photographic Collection for Scotland. This idea is being pursued.
The school, in Regent Road, lies immediately below,
and to the south of Calton Hill, very close to
Rock House, the studio
used by Hill & Adamson for 4
years from 1843.
In fact, on of Robert Adamson's
photographs of the Royal High School is dated 17 May 1843 -
one day before the
of the Church of Scotland, recorded in Hill & Adamsons' calotypes, as
a basis for a large painting by DO Hill.
Michael Shea, spokesman for the
Scottish National Photographic Centre, announced today [10
October 2002] that a £50,000 donation from a secret benefactor has
been received to help to fund a feasibility study for this project.
[The Feasibility Study should be completed by end-2002.]
This gift was warmly welcomed by
Timothy Clifford, director of National Galleries of Scotland, arts
impresario, Richard Demarco, Martin Hulse, director of the Edinburgh
civic trust, the Cockburn Association and others.
[Evening News: 10 October 2002, P27]
SNPC Chief Executive and his team are continuing to pursue the feasibility
of this project. Please click here for further details.