Engraving from Old & New Edinburgh - published 1890

Queen's Park

Queen's Park  -  Edinburgh from beside St Anthony's Chapel

Engraving of Edinburgh from beside St Anthony's Chapel in Queen's Park

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

    

Queen's Park  -  Volunteer Review

During the 1850s, the Regular Forces had fought two Wars - the Crimea and the Indian Mutiny.

The Volunteer Force was established in 1859, replacing the earlier Militia, in support of the Regular Forces.  Large numbers of the middle classes were recruited into the Volunteer Force.  Queen Victoria gave a royal stamp of approval when she carried out a Review of 22,000 Scottish volunteers in Queen's Park, Edinburgh in August, 1860

Holyrood Palace in the Queen's Park is now a venue for the Queen's Annual Edinburgh Garden Party.

The engraving above is taken from a print published by McFarlane & Erskine, Edinburgh.  McFarlane & Erskine produced several books between about 1870 and 1930.

 

Engravings

Thumbnail images

Edinburgh Old Town

The Royal Mile

Edinburgh Castle

Edinburgh New Town

Distant Views of Edinburgh

Around Edinburgh - North + East

Around Edinburgh - West + South

Churches

Schools

 Leith

 

 

__________________