Buildings on the east side of St Andrew Square

Dumbreck Hotels

East Side of St Andrew Square  -  view from the north-west  -  c.1800

  Copyright: For permission to reproduce, please contact Rod Dumbreck

The engraving above  shows the buildings in use as Dumbreck's Hotels.

East Side of St Andrew Square  -  from the south-west  -  1820s

 Engrving from Modern Athens  -  Buildings on the east side of St Andrew Square

  Copyright: For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

The engraving above  shows the buildings about the time they were sold by the Dumbreck family to the newly formed National Commercial Bank.  This bank later became part of the Royal Bank of Scotland which still occupies buildings here..

Dumbreck Hotels

The buildings on the right in the engraving above included the Dumbreck Hotels, owned by William Dumbreck until sold to National Commercial Bank in 1825. 

William Dumbreck was the eldest son of John Dumbreck who ran a hotel and coaching business from White Horse Inn at Cowgate Port from 1781

[Acknowledgement: Rod Dumbreck]

   

 

St Andrew Square

The view above is of the east side of St Andrew Square, looking to the north-east.  St Andrew Square is immediately to the left [out of picture].

In the gap beyond the building with the pillars is the Royal Bank of Scotland's Office, one of the first buildings of Edinburgh New Town.

  Engraving in 'Modern Athens'  -  The Royal Bank of Scotland in St Andrew Square

Click here to read more of the buildings in on the east side of St Andrew Square.

The buildings towards the end of the street (left of picture) are the site of the new Harvey Nichols store that opened in 2002. 

A new street has been built beside the Harvey Nichols store leading to the east from St Andrew Square past the new Edinburgh bus station (due to open 2003) to St James Shopping Centre.

The buildings on the right in the engraving above included the Dumbreck Hotels, owned by William Dumbreck until sold to National Commercial Bank in 1825. 

William Dumbreck was the eldest son of John Dumbreck who ran a hotel and coaching business from White Horse Inn at Cowgate Port from 1781

[Acknowledgement: Rod Dumbreck]

 

 

Engravings from Modern Athens  -  Published 1829

Index                 View from Craigleith                View from Calton Hill

Around Edinburgh

Distant Views

Old Town

New Town

Churches

Schools

Leith

 

 

__________________