Lower Granton Road

Garage opposite the eastern end of McKelvie Parade

Lower Granton Road  -  July 2009

Lower Granton Road - across the road from the eastern end of McKelvie Parade

  Copyright: Peter Stubbs  -   please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk                                                    Photo taken July 27, 2009

 

Enlarge this photo

and read about this photo

    Lower Granton Road - across the road from the eastern end of McKelvie Parade

 

Lower Granton Road

The Location

This photo was taken from the western end of McKelvie Parade, the footpath that runs for about 1/4 mile beside the sea wall along the north side of Lower Granton Road to where Trinity Bridge once stood.

The railway line from Granton Harbour to Trinity Station, then on to the centre of Edinburgh, used to run along an embankment here.  The embankment was removed around the 1980s, leaving a wide strip of grass along the northern side of the road.

Nos 1-12 Lower Granton Road  -  Looking to the east towards Trinity Road

The Buildings

The building in the foreground of this photo is Wardie Bay Garage, facing directly onto Lower Granton Road.

The building with the turret in the background is the last remaining part of Wardie House, built around 1666.  The remainder of the house was demolished in the 1950s and six bungalows were built in the grounds.

All these buildings have views to the north across the Firth of Forth to Fife.

Zoom-in

Please click on the thumbnail image below to zoom-out and see the buildings surrounding Wardie Bay garage:

Lower Granton Road - across the road from the eastern end of McKelvie Parade

 

Lower Granton Road

Granton Road

 

 

__________________