Nicolson Square

 

Nicolson Square  -  The Brass Founders' Pillar

The Brass Founders' Pillar in Nicolson Square  -  photographed 2 November, 2003

 Peter Stubbs  peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk                         Photographed 2 November 2003

Enlarge this picture

    The Brass Founders' Pillar in Nicolson Square  -  photographed 2 November, 2003

 

Nicolson Square

Methodist Chapel

Nicolson Square is a small square on the west side of Nicolson Street.  Nicolson Street is an extension of South Bridge.  Facing the south-west corner of the square is the Methodist Chapel.

Engraving in 'Modern Athens'  -  hand-coloured  -  Methodist Chapel at Nicholson Square

Brass Founders' Monument

Here, we zoom in on the Brass Iron Founders' Pillar in the square.  It features the biblical character, Tubal Cain, the legendary founder of brass and iron making skills.

This monument was commissioned for the 1886  International Exhibition of Science Art and Industry by the Edinburgh and Leith Brass Founders.

Following the exhibition, the pillar was moved from the Meadows to Nicolson Square.

Trees

Here, we zoom out to see more of the trees in Nicolson Square.

Nicholson Square  -  Photographed 2 November 2003

The Square is now (in 2008) being replanted with new trees.  It is to be open to the public.  Previously it was a private garden.

 

 

 

 

__________________