Stirling Road

Beside the west side of Lomond Park, Trinity, Edinburgh

December 2009

Stirling Road, Trinity, Edinburgh  -  December 2009

  Copyright: Peter Stubbs  -   please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk                              Photograph taken December 23, 2009

 

Enlarge this photo

   Stirling Road, Trinity, Edinburgh  -  December 2009

 

Stirling Road

History

Stirling Road was built beside Lomond Park at Trinity in the 1890s.  It was beginning to be occupied by 1893.  At that time (and until Edinburgh and Leith amalgamated in 1920) Trinity was part of Leith.

Lomond Park

Lomond park is a small private park in the middle of Trinity, with open ground, tennis courts and a bowling green.

The roads on all sides of Lomond Park were named after ships on the Leith Register in the are:

-  Stirling Road (on the west side) named after Stirling Castle

-  Lennox Road (on the north side) named after Lennox

-  Lomond Road (on the east side) named after Ben Lomond

-  Zetland Place (on the south side) named after Earl of Zetland

The Photo  -  2008

This view looks to the north up Stirling Road from its junction with Zetland Place at the SW corner of Lomond Park.  The houses are on the west side of Stirling Road.  Lomond Park is on the east side of the road.

This photo was taken on the morning of December 23, 2009, just after a heavy snow fall.  The snow lay on the ground for about another week before thawing.

Aerial View  -  1947

Here is an aerial view of part of Trinity, including Lomond Park, taken in 1947:

Aerial view of North-west Trinity, Edinburgh  -  1947

Source ('History' and 'Lomond Park' above):  'The Place Names of Edinburgh'  (Stuart Harris:  Publ. 1996)

 

Stirling Road

Aerial Views of Trinity Trinity

Around Edinburgh

 

 

__________________