Edinburgh, Leith

and

Portobello

 

Edinburgh

Most of Edinburgh's early photographers were based in central Edinburgh, particularly in Princes Street, in the Edinburgh New Town.

In the mid eighteenth century, the streets of central Edinburgh were very similar to today.

       Edinburgh New Town had wide streets and Georgian buildings.  It was here, particularly in Princes Street, that the photographers established their studios.

       Edinburgh Old Town was situated around the Royal Mile, leading from the Castle to Holyrood Palace There were overcrowded high tenement buildings, with and narrow lanes - very few photographers were based here 

Later in the century, photogaphers opened for business elsewhere in central Edinburgh, and also in Leith and Portobello.

 

Leith

Leith lies about two miles to the North of Edinburgh.  It is the port of Edinburgh and has extensive docks.  Leith became a separate borough from Edinburgh in 1820.  The two came together again in 1933.

Edinburgh and Leith

  Reproduced by courtesy of Edinburgh City Libraries and Information Services

The map above shows:

-  Leith with its docks (top right)

-  Edinburgh New Town, Calton Hill, part of Old Town (lower left)

 

Portobello

Portobello lies beside the coast, about four miles to the East of Edinburgh.  In the late 19th century, several photographers were based in Portobello, photographing the holidaymakers who came to the beach and pier.  Portobello became part of Edinburgh in 1896. 

Portobello Pier  -  Photographer: John Patrick

  Reproduced by courtesy of Edinburgh City Libraries and Information Services

 

 

 

 

 

__________________