Car Factory off West Shore Road, Granton is the oldest surviving car factory in
Britain. It was built in 1899 and is now a Grade-B listed building.
However, it is due to be demolished, following developer Buredi's request
for planning permission to clear the site.
Edinburgh Council have now accepted the view of the Buredi and the
council's arms-length company, EDI, that it will not be possible for
them to sell the building.
Edinburgh Council has agreed that the building may be demolished, but will
not allow the demolition to go ahead until they have seen the building
that is proposed to replace the old factory.
Edinburgh Evening News: January 15, 2010