This map above, by
Robert Kirkwood, was drawn in 1819, about fifty years after building of
Edinburgh's New Town
The North Loch (now West Princes
Street Gardens ) had not yet been drained, and it would be a
further 27 years before the railway would be built through
Princes Street Gardens with the opening of the Station at
Waverley in 1846.
The southern part of the New
Town (the First New Town, extending from
Princes Street to
Street and from
Charlotte Square to
Andrew Square was complete, but much of the land to the north
still had to be built on.