Most of the housing in
this area had not been build when the 1844 map was published.
Upper-left is Comely Bank, with its 3-storey tenement buildings.
These are built close to the roads,
with no gardens at the front, but they have 'greens' (large square areas,
originally used for hanging out clothes to dry) hidden in the centre of
The valley of the Water
of Leith can be seen, running along the bottom of this area, passing under
Bridge, then turning towards the north past
St Bernard's Well.