Photo by John Horsburgh

Princes Street

View, looking north to Princes Street from the top of the Mound - c.1865

Princes Street  -  Looking North from The Mound  -  c.1865

  Reproduced by courtesy of Mr & Mrs Jardine, Edinburgh 

Princes Street

The part of Princes Street that appears in the photo above is the central part of the map below, that between South St David Street and Hanover Street.

This section now includes the shops: H Samuel, British Home Stores, Marks & Spencer and Jenners.

Horsburgh Studios

It was around 1864 that John Horsburgh b.1835 set up his studio at 17 Princes Street (just off the picture to the right.) 

Around 1868, he moved to premises at 131 Princes Street, near the West End (further out of the picture on the left!)

Other Studios

Many of Edinburgh's early photographers established their studios in upper floor rooms in Princes Street. These were the studios that were based in Princes Street in 1865:

Photographic Studios  -  1865

 

 

Horsburgh

Index to Pages

 

 

__________________