Charles Piazzi Smyth
began his career as an assistant to Sir John Herschel at the Cape.
In 1846, became Astronomer Royal for Scotland, based
at Calton Hill Observatory, on the hill above Rock
House, the studio occupied by Hill &
Adamson from 1843 until 1847.
Piazzi Smyth held his post as Astronomer Royal for Scotland for 42
years, though he spent much of his time travelling, and campaigning
for observatories to be built in the clear air high on