Here is the Deaconess Hospital, seen on a
misty day in 1959. The hospital, in the Pleasance, was built in 1894
and extended in 1897 and again in 1934.
The large photograph above was one of several dozen taken in 1959 by Adam H
Malcolm in the Dumbiedykes area of Edinburgh. These photographs were
taken shortly before the houses were demolished. Adam H Malcolm donated these photographs to the Edinburgh City
Libraries in the 1960s and they can now be found in the Library's
Edinburgh Room Collection.