The Boswall estate was built at
the start of the 1920s. Boswall Drive and most other roads
on the estate were given their names in November 1921.
[History and Derivation of Edinburgh Street Names:
Edinburgh Corporation City Engineers Dept, 1975]
This photo seems likely to have been taken shortly after the
houses were built. At first glance it appears that none of
the houses on the right-hand side of the road have yet been built,
but they are well set back from the road, so perhaps some have
been built and are out of the picture.
This scene looks rather
bare. The trees and hedges that now line the road have still to be
planted and the road is covered in slushy snow, but there seem to
be plenty of people willing to pose for the photographer.
The attractive gas lamp posts were replaced many years
ago by taller lamp posts for electric lights, and a
not-very-attractive 'box on pole' for use as storage by postmen
was installed near the Boswall Avenue corner more recently.