The Flodden Wall
This picture looks to the west
along Drummond Street (on the left-hand side of the photo).
The high wall in
this photo is part of the Flodden Wall, built around Edinburgh to protect
it from invasion by the English, following the Battle of Flodden in 1513
in which King James IV was killed.
There appears to have been an archway in this corner of the wall at one
time, since replaced by a small wooden gate!