Academy for the Deaf and Dumb
The district between Holyrood
Park and the Pleasance was once an area of arable land divided into strips
Thomas Braidwood established an Academy for the Deaf and Dumb here,
on the east side of St Leonard's road.
The Academy soon
became known by the nickname DUMMIE HOOSE. It closed in 1873, but
the nickname remained. The house appeared on Kirkwood's 1817 map of
Edinburgh as DUMBIE HOUSE, and was later known as Craigside. It was
demolished in 1939.
St Leonard's Road
became Dumbiedykes Road.
[Place Names of
Edinburgh: Stuart Harris]