Newhaven

Newhaven is an old village on the Firth of Forth,

 situated between the harbours of Granton and Leith,

about three miles to the north of the centre of Edinburgh

Please select one of the categories below

Old Photos

Fishermen

Newhaven  -   Mending Nets

Fishwives

Newhaven Fishwives Costumes  -  Members of the Independent Order of Free Templars in 1918.

Fishmarket

Newhaven Fishmarket with fishwives and carts

Harbour

Newhaven Pier - Photograph by Begbie

Streets

and

Buildings

Newhaven Streets  -  Wester Close  -  1880s

Trams

Trams in Newhaven Road

Aerial View

Newhaven  -  Aerial View, 1978

Calotype

Portraits

 1840s

Hill & Adamson Calotype of Newhaven Fishwife

Carte de Visite

Portraits

1863

Carte de Visite  -  Newhaven Fishwife  -  John Ross

Portraits

1866-67

Carte de Visite by George Oman  -  Fishwife     Carte de Visite by George Oman  -  Fishwife

Postcards

Streets

Early 1900s

Postcard  -  Castle Series  -  Newhaven

Fishermen

Early 1900s

Newhaven  -   Baiting lines and chopping driftwood for firewood

Fishmarket

Early 1900s

The west side of Newhaven Fishmarket  -  A  Valentine postcard

Fishwives

Early 1900s

Post Card by Valentine - Newhaven Fishwife

Harbour

Early 1900s

0_around_edinburgh_-_newhaven_new_lane_reliable_mono.jpg (35634 bytes)

Recent Photos

From 1990

Newhaven Harbour  -  A summer evening in 2004

Recent Paintings

Frank Forsgard Manclark

Painting by Frank Forsgard Manclark, 'The Leith Artist'   -   Newhaven Sunset

Old Engravings

Published 1890

Engraving  -  Newhaven Fishwives

Maps

1840, 1860, 1870, 1917

Newhaven map  -  1840

Aerial View

2001

Newhaven aerial photo  -  2001  -  zoomed-out

Recollections

Basaltic Rock at the Peacock Inn, Newhaven

 

Social History

Around Edinburgh

 

 

__________________