This advert appeared in the
Edinburgh Post Office Directory in 1867.
James Ritchie & Son hold
the contract for maintaining many of the public clocks in Edinburgh,
including the clocks on
St Giles Cathedral,
Tolbooth, the floral clock in Princes Street Garden and the Time Ball
that is raised daily on the
Nelson Monument on
Calton Hill as a signal
to the shipping on the Firth of Forth.
The Nelson Monument with
its Time Ball can be seen at the left-hand side of the engraving above.
is in the background in this view and also below: