The advertisement above shows one way to spend sixpence in
1867. The advert appeared in the Edinburgh & Leith Post Office Directory
City Park was near the northern edge of Edinburgh New Town,
about half a mile to the north of the east end of Princes Street.
The site of the Gymnasium later became a football pitch for
St Bernard's Football
Club. However the club terminated in the 1930s. Part of the area is
now King George V Park.
Edinburgh - Views from Above]