St Leonard's

 Parish Church

This church was built in 1880 for the congregation of Newington.

It became "The Church of Christ" from 1932.

The Congregation was dissolved in 1976.

It is now
"The Catholic Church
of St Margaret & St Leonard"

in 2009.

At the southern end of St Leonard Street  -  2009

The former St Leonard's Parish Church

  peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk                                Photo taken May 25, 2009

 

Enlarge this photo

    The former St Leonard's Parish Church

 

St Leonard's  Parish Church

This church, now "The Catholic Church of St Margaret & St Leonard", is at the southern end of St Loenard's Street, on the eastern side of the street, between Homebase do-it-yourself store and No 1 Dalkeith Road.

Here is another photograph of the church, also taken on May 25, 2009.

The former St Leonard's Parish Church

Here is an old postcard.  The view looks to the east along Lutton Place towards the church, with Arthur's Seat in Holyrood Park in the background.

Looking along Lutton Place to St Leonard's Parish Church

 

Acknowledgements

 (for history of the church to  1976, at the top of this page)

"The Kirks of Edinburgh"   (Ian Dunlop),   Publ. Scottish Record Society,1984

(for old postcard and further comments about the church)

Bryan Gourlay, Biggar, Lanarkshire, Scotland

 

St Leonard's Parish Church Recollections

St Leonard's Parish Church
Photos

 

   

 

__________________