From 1842 until 1868, trains from the north
to Canal Street Station in Princes Street were hauled up the final part of
their journey through Scotland Street Tunnel by a stationery steam
engine at Canal Street Station.
This line was extended to link Canal Street station with Granton
Harbour in 1847.
Below is a view of the tunnel where it emerges into Waverley Station
opposite Platform 19.