The road sign points to the Eastern General
Hospital. This used to be on the south side of Seafield Road.
The hospital was built in 1906 by Leith Parish Council as a combined poor
house and hospital. Many of the wards were closed in the 1990s.
The last patients and staff left the hospital in January 2007.
hospital buildings are to be demolished to make way for 200 private homes
and a residential home for 60 pensioners.
[Edinburgh Evening News: January,
January 19, 2007]