However, the Edinburgh author, DLG Hunter, wrote:
Light Traction Engines
"... These machines of six horsepower and
weighing under six tons had india-rubber tyres and were being successfully
used in 1870 to haul substantial loads to the docks and elsewhere. ..."
Edinburgh & Leith
"An omnibus proprietor, Mr A Ritchie, thought
this machine might be an improvement on his horse buses between Edinburgh
and Leith, and he had a passenger carrying trailer built by Messrs Drew
This rather cumbersome vehicle was carried on
a single axle, and seated 21 passengers inside. 44 passengers could be
carried on top and were protected - in some measure - by an awning."
"When the outfit had been tried with success,
Mr Ritchie was prevailed upon to run it on the Portobello route instead,
and this service started on 2 June 1870, the vehicle rejoicing in the name
'Edinburgh's Transport: The Early Years'
(DLG Hunter): pp.11-12