site here is now occupied by Edinburgh's Waverley Railway
Station. But in 1829 it was a market-place for fish and
attractive lines of the old North Bridge, for which the
foundation stone was laid in 1763, can be seen in the foreground, with the houses of
Old Edinburgh and their smoking chimneys behind.
lives were lost when the southern end of this bridge collapsed
shortly after its completion. The bridge had to be
rebuilt, with major costly strengthening before it could be
bridge was replaced by the present wider North Bridge around the
end of the nineteenth century.
the background is Arthur's Seat and Salisbury Crags. The church
at the right is the Tron Kirk at the junction where North Bridge
crosses the Royal Mile.