The well was built as
an open temple supported by ten pillars, with a statue of Hygena,
the goddess of Health in the centre. It was erected by Lord
Gladstone in 1790. It provided water with a sulphurous
odour, but within forty years it was reported:
"The novelty of the thing
has passed away. The miraculous properties of the beverege
are now, therefore, less observed."