Dean Village

Thomas Vernon Begbie  -  late 1850s

Dean Village - on the Water of Leith - close to the centre of Edinburgh

Dean Village - Photograph by Begbie

MAPS for Begbie photos:    Edinburgh & Leith

  The Cavaye Collection of Thomas Begbie Prints: City Art Centre, City of Edinburgh Museums and Galleries 

 

Maps for Begbie photos

Central Edin - West    Central Edin - East    Edinburgh & Leith

Maps for photos:

1850s       1950s      2000 Central Edinburgh       2000 Around Edinburgh

Maps for engravings:

1829

Photographs

Around Edinburgh

 

 

Dean Village

This view shows the Water of Leith on its route from the Pentland Hills to Leith, running through the centre of Dean Village, about half a mile to the south-west of the West End of Princes Street.  

The low bridge here took the traffic from Edinburgh to Queensferry until  Thomas Telford's impressive Dean Bridge was built a little further East at a height of 32 meters above the Water of Leith.  

The church in this photo is Holy Trinity Church.

 

Buildings:    Canongate Tolbooth     Castle     Free Church    General Post Office    Holyrood     John Knox     Maule's     Monuments      Galleries    Old Town     Royal High School    St Giles       St Mary's    Scott Monument    Schools + Hospitals   Looking down

 

 

__________________