Leith Links

1925

Leith Links  -  1925

Edinburgh and Leith map, 1925  -  Leith Links

  For permission to reproduce please contact  peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk      Extract from a map in the Post Office Directory, 1925-26

 

Leith Links

History

Leith Links is an open area of grass to the east of the Foot of Leith Walk.  It is still used for sports and is believed by some to be where the game of golf was first played.

On this map, the links can be seen lying between:

-  South-west corner:  Leith Central Station.

-  North-east corner:  Leith Ropery and the railway lines in Leith Docks.

There were two schools close to the south-west corner of Leith Links. 

Primary School

The school marked 'Leith Academy' on this map became Leith Primary School.

Leith Academy, Leith Links  -  A Valentine Postcard

Thank you to Norma Brodie, Auckland, New Zealand for identifying this school in the postcard view above.  Norma was a pupil at the school from 1946.

Secondary School

The other school near the south-west corner of Leith Links, marked 'School' on this map became Leith Academy Secondary School.

In recent years, the building has been  used by Queen Margaret University College, but it is now [in 2005] for sale.  It is expected to be developed as housing or as a hotel when the college moves to its new site at Musselburgh in 2007.

This map shows the same area 10 years earlier.  The two schools above are in the same positions, but with different names!

Leith Links  -  1915

   Edinburgh and Leith map, 1915  -  Leith Links

 

 

Leith Links

Small Maps:        1915         1925          1940

Large Maps:                                             1940

 

 

Maps:  All Edinburgh Districts:    1870      1915     1925     1940     1955     2001

Map Index:  Full  Index

Map Index:  Short Index + thumbnails

 

 

__________________