Edinburgh New Town   -   Robert Kirkwood Map

Calton

1819

Calton Hill Monuments      and       Calton Jail and Bridewell

Detail from map of Edinburgh New Town  -  Kirkwood, 1819  -   Calton 

  Reproduced by courtesy of the National Library of Scotland.    Click here for further info, and for the NLS maps web site.

Click here to see all other sections of this map:

    Kirkwood Map of Edinburgh, 1819  -  Key to sections.

Please click an arrow below to move to a
 section of the map that is close to this one.
 (The scale may be different.)

Move west     Move north

Click here to see the whole map and aerial view:      Zoom-out

 

Calton

   Detail from anaerial photograph of Edinburgh  -  XYZ Digital Map Company, 2001  -  Calton

Map +  Aerial View

The map above shows:

-   TOP:  Monuments on Calton Hill

-   BOTTOM:  Calton Jail and Bridewell   

The 'Great London Road' (later to become the 'A1') lead can be seen here beneath the southern slopes of Calton Hill.

This road started a short distance to the west at the East End of Princes Street, beside the Theatre Royal in Shakespeare Square (later to become the site for the GPO.

The road led across the newly constructed Regent Bridge over Low Calton, then past Rock House, the studio of Hill & Adamson, before reaching the lower slopes of Calton Hill in this picture.

The Jail and Bridewell were demolished in the early 20th century to make way for the building of the Government Offices, St Andrew's House.

 

Kirkwood Map  -  1819

Whole map        Sections        Streets + Buildings

 

 

__________________