Edinburgh New Town

Calton

Kirkwood Map  -  1819

Detail from map of Edinburgh New Town  -  Kirkwood, 1819  -  Calton

  Reproduced by courtesy of the National Library of Scotland.
Click here for further info, and for the NLS maps web site.

Aerial View  -  2001

Detail from anaerial photograph of  Edinburgh  -  XUZ Digital Map Company, 2001  -  Calton

  Copyright: XYZ Digital Map Company Limited.
  Click here for details of web site.

Move west     Move north     Zoom-out

 

Calton

Detail from map of Edinburgh New Town  -  Kirkwood, 1819  -  Calton

Enlarge this map

The map above shows:

-   TOP:  Monuments on Calton Hill

-   BOTTOM:  Calton Jail and Bridewell   

The 'Great London Road' (later to become the 'A1') lead can be seen here beneath the southern slopes of Calton Hill.

This road started a short distance to the west at the East End of Princes Street, beside the Theatre Royal in Shakespeare Square (later to become the site for the General Post Office). 

The road led across the newly constructed Regent Bridge over Low Calton, then past Rock House, the studio of Hill & Adamson, before reaching the lower slopes of Calton Hill in this picture.

The Jail and Bridewell were demolished in the early 20th century to make way for the building of the Government Offices, St Andrew's House.

 

Kirkwood Map  -  1819

Whole map        Sections        Streets + Buildings

 

 

__________________