Edinburgh New Town   -   Robert Kirkwood Map

First New Town

West Section

1819

First New Town  (Central Section)

including Charlotte Square

Detail from map of Edinburgh New Town  -  Kirkwood, 1819  -  First New Town (west section) 

  Reproduced by courtesy of the National Library of Scotland.    Click here for further info, and for the NLS maps web site.

Click here to see all other sections of this map:

    Kirkwood Map of Edinburgh, 1819  -  Key to sections.

Please click an arrow below to move to a
 section of the map that is close to this one.
 (The scale may be different.)

Move east     Move north     Zoom-in

Click here to see the whole map and aerial view:      Zoom-out

 

First New Town

West Section

Detail from an aerial photograph of Edinburgh  -  XYZ Digital Map Co, 2001  -  First New Town, west section

Map + Aerial View

The First New Town of Edinburgh includes the regular pattern of streets bounded by:

-  Princes Street (to the south)

-  Queen Street (to the north)

-  Charlotte Square (to the west)

-  St Andrew Square (to the east)

This section of the map runs approximately from Charlotte Square to Castle Street.  Charlotte Square now is a square (with just a little cut off each corner.  Was it ever built as a circle? 

St George's Church is still a prominent landmark on the western side of Charlotte Square, but is now used as West Register House.  The congregation has joined with St Andrew's congregation at the eastern end of George Street to form St Andrew & St George's Church.

The two buildings in the lower-left corner of the map are:

St John's Church (described as St John's Chapel)

St Cuthbert's Church (described as West Church)

 

First New Town

West Section

  

 

Kirkwood Map  -  1819

Whole map        Sections        Streets + Buildings

 

 

__________________