New Town of Edinburgh includes the regular pattern of streets
- Princes Street (to the south)
- Queen Street (to the north)
- Charlotte Square (to the west)
- St Andrew Square (to the east)
Between the two squares, there are three streets
- Castle Street
- Frederick Street
- Hanover Street (in this map, joining
Princes Street opposite the Earthen Mound.
section of the map runs approximately from Castle Street to
When this map was drawn, the
Galleries at the foot of The Mound (The Earthen Mound) had not
yet been built, and West Princes Street Gardens had not yet been
drained. The gardens are shown as the North Loch.