Edinburgh New Town   -   Robert Kirkwood Map

St Andrew Square

1819

St Andrew Square

Detail from map of Edinburgh New Town  -  Kirkwood, 1819  -  St Andrew Square 

  Reproduced by courtesy of the National Library of Scotland.    Click here for further info, and for the NLS maps web site.

Click here to see all other sections of this map:

    Kirkwood Map of Edinburgh, 1819  -  Key to sections.

Please click an arrow below to move to a
 section of the map that is close to this one.
 (The scale may be different.)

Move west     Move east     Move north-west     Move north-east

Click here to see the whole map and aerial view:      Zoom-out

 

St Andrew Square

   Detail from an aerial photograph of Edinburgh  -  XYZ Digital Map Co, 2001  -  St Andrew Square

Map + Aerial View

Here is a view of St Andrew Square, before the monument to Melville had been erected in the centre of the square.

Leading into the square from the west is George Street, with St Andrew's church on the north side of the street and the Physicians' Hall

On the eastern side of the square is the Excise Office, later to become Head Office of the Royal Bank of Scotland.  the lettering in front of the buildings on either side of the Excise Office on the eastern side of the square reads:

-  TO THE NORTH:   Royal Bank

-  TO THE SOUTH:  British Linen Company Bank

 

Kirkwood Map  -  1819

Whole map        Sections        Streets + Buildings

 

 

__________________