Edinburgh Electric Trams
Edinburgh Corporation Transport
Conversion of the Cable Car System
responsibility for Edinburgh's tramways passed to the Tramways Dept of the
City. The city immediately set about converting the cable tramway system
to an electric system.
Conversion was carried out between 1919 and 1923, the final cable car
running on 23 June 1923.
Edinburgh & Leith
From 1900 onwards, the
two-mile journey down Leith Walk, from Edinburgh and Leith involved a
change of tram, transferring between an Edinburgh cable car and a Leith
electric car at Pilrig.
This situation continued until the Edinburgh part of the route was
converted to electric trams on 20 June 1922.
Proposals to erect poles in the centre of Princes Street
for the electric trams met with opposition, but were later accepted
following debate in the House of Parliament.
Slender tapered poles with scroll-work were installed,
and the electric trams in Princes Street began to operate on 22 October
Edinburgh & Musselburgh
Just as on a journey from Edinburgh to Leith in the
cable car days, involved a change of tram at Pilrig, a journey to the east
from Edinburgh along the Firth of Forth to Musselburgh required a change
of tram at Joppa.
This situation continued until the Edinburgh part of the
route was converted to electric trams on 23 June
Replacement of Trams by Buses
As Edinburgh grew, the size of the tramway network did
not keep pace. New bus services were introduced, particularly from the
late 1940s onwards.
Throughout the early 1950s,
individual tram services were converted to bus operation, the final tram
running on 16 November 1956.
[DGL Hunter] and
The Tramways of Eastern Scotland [Gillham and