Two tower wagons at North Bridge in 1922. These
were completing the conversion of the cable car tramway on this route to
The old tramway track, with its central groove for the
cable can be seen in the foreground.
This is one of two photographs of these tower wagons on
In the background of this photograph, by EO Catford, is
Register House at the East End of Princes Street.
A very similar photo, but taken from a few yards further to the north,
beside the North British Hotel, appears in DLG Hunter's book,
'Edinburgh Transport, The Corporation Years' (Page
16) with the caption:
"Completion of overhead wiring of the first
section to be undertaken, Pilton to Nether Liberton, just a few days prior
to the commencement of the electric operation.
At the foot of North Bridge, facing Register
House and the Wellingron statue, are the first two tower wagons.
- SG5077, on the left, is
a 1922 Tilling Stevens.
- WS194, on the right, is a Haley
formerly of Leith Corporation dating back to 1914.
A Sunday morning, to judge by the absence of