Stereo  Views

GW Wilson

The Mound

A view from the north side of Princes Street looking to the National Galleries.  Assembly Hall in background

Stereo view by G W Wilson  -  National Galleries at the foot of the Mound.  Assembly Hall in the background

  Reproduced with acknowledgement to Jenny and Ray Norman  -   Web site: World of Stereoviews

The Mound

enlargement

Stereo view by G W Wilson  -  National Galleries at the foot of the Mound.  Assembly Hall in the background

  Reproduced with acknowledgement to Jenny and Ray Norman  -   Web site: World of Stereoviews

 

The Mound

The two National Galleries at the foot of the Mound are on the right-hand side of this view.  Assembly Hall in Mound Place, with its two towers, in the background of this photo was built 1858-59.  The movement of the figures indicates a fairly slow exposure.

So, perhaps this photograph was taken around 1860 or the early 1860s. There appears to be a white building under construction to the left of Assembly Hall.

This photo appears to have been taken from 75 Princes Street (or very close).   For almost a hundred years from 1848, 75 Princes Street was the address of photographic studios, including:

1850-60:  Sotires Georgiades

1864-65:  James Cumming

 

More Photos

G W Wilson

The Mound

 

 

G W Wilson

Background

GWW in Edinburgh

Photos and Albums

Post Cards

Photo: Burns Monument

Photo: Princes Street

Photo:  Dean Bridge

Lantern Slide

Stereo Views - List

Stereo Views - Thumbnails

GWW's Instantaneous Views:      Comparison of photos      Location

All Stereo Views:         Background        List of Publishers        Thumbnails

 

 

 

__________________