Other Photographers

Other Stereo Publishers

Thumbnails

 

Portobello Tower
or Portobello Castle

 

A stereo view by an unidentified photographer  -  Portobello Castle

  Copyright: Peter Stubbs  -   please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

 

The back of a stereo view by an unidentified photographer  -  Portobello Castle

  Copyright: Peter Stubbs  -   please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

History

Portobello Tower is the building standing in its own walled grounds beside the shore at the extreme right of this engraving, published in Old & New Edinburgh in 1890:

Portobello Sands

Engraving in 'Old & New Edinburgh'  -  Portobello Beach

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

Portobello Tower was built for the lawyer John Cunningham in 1785.  It was built of rubble with a red brick dressing and is a mix of many architectural styles from late medieval to late C17.

The Buildings of Scotland - Edinburgh [John Gifford et al.]  1984

The building is said to incorporate fragments of Old College, Edinburgh Mercat Cross and St Andrews' Cathedral.

Annals of Duddingston and Portobello [William Baird.]  1898

Portobello Tower (or at least part of it) is still standing, but amidst high buildings.  Until recently there was an amusement arcade between the tower and the sands, but this arcade may now have been replaced by new housing.

 

Portobello Castle

Enlarge this photo

 A stereo view by an unidentified photographer  -  Portobello Castle 

Another stereo view

 A stereo view by an unidentified photographer  -  Sundial at Portobello Castle 

 

 

Stereo Views

Background                    List of Publishers                     Thumbnails

 

 

__________________