'The Golden Boy'
Thank you to Linda Moederzoom of Norfolk for emailing me,
- Her great great uncle, Anthony Hall, was an
athlete in the 1860s / 1870s.
- In later life, he was an artists' model.
- Anthony Hall modelled for Edinburgh University's
'Golden Boy' statue
- He also modelled for the Burns statue in Leith.
- C. M. Campbell wrote a book based on Anthony Hall published 1897
called Dielie Jock. The book starts off with Anthony in an
artist's studio in Edinburgh.
- In the Talbot
Rice Gallery (old quad) there is an oil painting of him. It was
donated by Anthony's niece Helen Mackay Hall. It shows him
wearing just a loin cloth (apparently added later for the sake of
- Also in reception
at the quad is the plaster cast model of the Golden Boy. It is
splendid. They've put a fig leaf on that one.