Maps of Leith
The 1693 map: This early map is taken from
Great Britain's Coasting Pilot, published 1693. It shows the small
harbour and eastern fortifications of Leith.
The 1804 map: This map shows the ownership
of land in Leith, Newhaven and Trinity, with plans for proposed new
docks at Leith.
The 1835 map: Leith has a harbour with a
wet dock and dry dock.
The 1840 map: The style of the 1840 map is
quite different from the 1835 map, but both show similar features.
The 1860 map: A second wet dock, Victoria Dock has been
added, and the harbour has been divided into two by a pier. The
railway has reached Leith.
The 1870 map: Many more houses have been
built. There are now two railways to Leith Docks, from the south
and from the west. Albert Dock has been built.
The 1917 map: Leith has continued to expand. There
are now two railway stations at the docks and one near the foot of Leith
Walk. Imperial Dock and Edinburgh Docks have been built.