From 1847 until 1868, trains travelling from
Granton to Canal Street
Station in Princes Street were hauled up the final part of their journey
through Scotland Street Tunnel by a stationery steam engine at Canal
Here is a view of the other side of the iron gate, taken from Platform
19:In this view, we see the southern end of the tunnel, (at the top of the
tunnel) where it emerges into Waverley Station opposite Platform 19.