is a Bird's-Eye view of the Castle and City of Edinburgh, from
an engraving published in 1575.
this view Edinburgh extends only about half a mile to the east,
from the castle. The next half mile to the east to
Holyrood Palace is part of the Canongate borough, outside the
walls of Edinburg.
The extent of the city walls can be seen
on this view. There were no walls on the north of the
city. Protection was provided by the steep face of Castle
Rock and the Nor' Loch.
The crowded conditions of the old town can
be seen. The confined space within the city's walls
resulted in high tenements, with narrow closes between them,
being built on either side of the ridge running down from the
castle towards the Canongate.
Edinburgh Town Walls
The wall shown on the 1575 map at the top of this page is the
newly-built Flodden Wall.