Ringing the Changes and
Chiming the Bells
During the 18th and 19th century, the bells of St Andrew's & St George's
church were rung in changes, with the bells rotating through a full
The change ringing ceased in 1903, when the bells
were thought not to be in a fit state to continue.
Instead, small clappers were attached to the
bells, allowing them to be used to play hymn tunes, as in the picture
The bells have now [September
2003] been taken down from the church steeple, and are being
returned to Whitechapel Bell Foundry for refurbishment and retuning.
They will then be re-hung in a metal frame in a
new bell chamber in the church steeple, so that change ringing might be
heard again, one day, from the church.