Caroline Park History
Caroline Park was built
on the eastern side of Granton Burn around 1585.
The 2nd Duke of Buccleuch bought the estate of Wester Granton,
Granton Castle and the house and estate that were to become
Caroline Park in 1716.
He named the house and estate, Caroline Park, after his
daughter and gave the house to her in 1743, the year before his
From 1802 to 1835, the house was leased by the Buccleuch family
to Archibald Cockburn, Sheriff of Midlothian, Baron of the
Exchequer and father of Lord Cockburn, the conservationist
after whom the Cockburn Association is named.
The area around the house became more industrial in the 19th
and early 20th century. The house was sold to A B Fleming &
Co who owned printing ink works nearby, in 1921 and used as their
Head Office until 1966. It is still occupied today.