Edinburgh Transport  -  Railways

North Leith Station

North Leith Station  -  1964

North Leith Station  -  1964

  Reproduced with acknowledgement to the National Railway Museum, A J Mullay and Ian Allan Publishers                     Real Photos

North Leith Station

The line to North Leith Station originally ran from Canal Street station through a tunnel to Scotland Street then via Bonnington to North Leith.

Here, the rather basic structure, with no roof, can be seen in August 1964.

 

North Leith

 and

North Leith

Leith had several stations.  The names of these two can be confusing:

North Leith Station,   (above) was a North British Railway station, situated in Commercial Street close to Leith Citadel.  This line ran originally through the tunnel under Scotland Street to Canal Street station situated beside Waverley Station at the East End of Princes Street.

Later it ran via Abbey Hill to Waverley Station.

The North British Railway closed the station to passenger traffic in 1947.  It continued to be used for fish and other freight until the 1970s.

Leith North Station,   (here) was a little further west, close to where the road to Ocean Terminal enters Leith Docks.  This was the terminus of the Caledonian Railway's line that ran via Newhaven, Granton Road and Craigleith to Princes Street station at the West End of Princes Street.

This line was closed to passenger traffic in 1962, and Princes Street Station that also had lines running to the south from Edinburgh closed two years later.

New housing was built, in the early 200s, on the land where the station used to stand.

Leith North Station  -  1962

 

 

Edinburgh Railway Lines and Stations

Edinburgh

Central

North

West

East

South

SW

Leith